East & West Molesey
A Dictionary of Local History
Rowland G. M. Baker, 1972
These occupy two large late-Victorian houses, formerly known as "Courtlands" and "Hurst Lodge", in Hurst Road. The homes were originally established at Norbiton in 1854 by the Duke of Cambridge, cousin of Queen Victoria, Commander in Chief of the British army, for the widows of non-commissioned officers and privates. Each widow, who must be over fifty years old, has a furnished room and an allowance. There are now twenty-six in residence. In 1869 Princess Augusta, the Duke of Cambridge's sister, in thanks for her mother's escape from a coach accident, gave a sum of £100 the interest on which is periodically paid to the widows.
All books copyright © R G M Baker, all rights reserved.
Images © 2006 M J Baker and S A Baker, all rights reserved.
Web page design © 2006 M J Baker and S A Baker, all rights reserved.