East & West Molesey
A Dictionary of Local History
Rowland G. M. Baker, 1972
An open space of some ten acres with a frontage to the river Mole of about eight hundred feet, lying between the river and Island Barn Reservoir. It was presented to the district by the late Mr. Christian Nielson, a member of both the Molesey Urban District and Surrey County Councils. The deeds of the property were handed over by Mr. Nielson to the chairman of Molesey Council on 7th May 1933, which was the very last meeting of the council before its amalgamation with Esher. The field was officially declared open on Jubilee Day, 6th May 1935, the opening ceremony being conducted jointly by the vicars of East and West Molesey.
Mr. Nielson's widow, Mrs. Margaret Nielson, who died on 2nd September 1950, left a legacy of £100 to the council to be spent on the provision of equipment for use on the field.
All books copyright © R G M Baker, all rights reserved.
Images © 2006 M J Baker and S A Baker, all rights reserved.
Web page design © 2006 M J Baker and S A Baker, all rights reserved.