East & West Molesey
A Dictionary of Local History
Rowland G. M. Baker, 1972
A large house formerly standing in New Road. Probably built in the eighteenth century, it was at that time called "Mole Cottage" and was occupied by Joseph Palmer. It was purchased in 1853 by Sir Robert Carden, Lord Mayor of London, greatly enlarged, given a battlemented parapet, and renamed "Mole Lodge". Its later name, "Mole Abbey", dates from the beginning of the century and was probably given because of the Gothic appearance of Carden's additions. It was recently pulled down to make way for housing development.
All books copyright © R G M Baker, all rights reserved.
Images © 2006 M J Baker and S A Baker, all rights reserved.
Web page design © 2006 M J Baker and S A Baker, all rights reserved.