East & West Molesey
A Dictionary of Local History
Rowland G. M. Baker, 1972
Cannon - Mentioned as early as 1810, but was rebuilt in 1897.
Lord Hotham - Built in 1870, although a licence was not granted until the following year. Named after the lord of the Manor.
The Paddock - Built 1968 to serve the new Hurst Park development.
Royal Oak - In the early part of the seventeenth century it was called the White Hart and changed to its present name at the Restoration to commemorate the escape of King Charles in the famous Boscobel Oak after the battle of Worcester. The old wooden house was pulled down and rebuilt in the latter part of the last century, possibly soon after the house was bought by the Hodgson Brewery Company in 1857.
The Traveller's Friend - A beerhouse which formerly stood on the site of the post office at the corner of Walton Road and High Street. The house was also a butcher's shop, selling meat on one side of the passage and beer on the other. Demolished in 1872.
The Surveyor - A new public house, named The Surveyor, was opened in November 1974, in Island Farm Road, mainly to cater for the Fleetside housing and industrial estate.
All books copyright © R G M Baker, all rights reserved.
Images © 2006 M J Baker and S A Baker, all rights reserved.
Web page design © 2006 M J Baker and S A Baker, all rights reserved.