East & West Molesey
A Dictionary of Local History
Rowland G. M. Baker, 1972
Albion - Built about 1845.
Bell - A notable old coaching inn. Probably built about 1550. It was the social centre of the village, all local functions held here, including the meetings of the parish vestry, parochial dinners, etc. It was East Molesey's first post office. The weathervane was originally on the spire of the parish church.
Bridge Coffee House - This was run during the eighteenth century by a Charles Carpenter in a house on the corner of Walton and Esher Roads, later a farmhouse and then a private house called "Olde Home". It was demolished recently.
Carnavon Castle - Built about 1860, now known as the Ferryboat Inn.
Castle - Stood by the river Thames on the site of the roundabout opposite Hampton Court station. Probably built in the seventeenth century, although enlarged several times since. An annex was added in 1887 between the main building and the Carnavon Castle which was connected by a bridge across the road. Demolished 1929.
Europa - Built in 1859, but not licensed until the following year.
Kings Arms - Originally late eighteenth century but much altered.
New Inn - Built about 1860.
Poyntz Arms - Built 1866. Named after the Dowager Lady Clinton, formerly Miss Poyntz.
Prince of Wales - Originally called the Railway Hotel. Built in 1853.
Swan - Formerly stood at the southern end of Bell Road by Tanners Bridge. It ceased to be an inn in the late eighteenth century.
Thames Hotel - Built in 1887, by Harry Tagg, and for many years, even after Tagg gave it up, was commonly known as Tagg's Hotel.
All books copyright © R G M Baker, all rights reserved.
Images © 2006 M J Baker and S A Baker, all rights reserved.
Web page design © 2006 M J Baker and S A Baker, all rights reserved.