East & West Molesey
A Dictionary of Local History
Rowland G. M. Baker, 1972
There were formerly two ferries in Molesey, one from East Molesey to Hampton Court and the other from West Molesey to Hampton town. These ferries were appurtenances belonging to the manor of Molesey Prior, and were acquired by the Crown with the manor in 1536. For some years after this the ferries were leased to various people independently of the manor. Thus in 1545 the Hampton Court ferry was in the hands of "Thomas Sheparde of Molesey". In 1750 James Clarke, lord of the manor and lessee of the ferries, obtained an Act of Parliament to build a bridge in lieu of the ferry (see Hampton Court bridge). The ferry between West Molesey and Hampton is still in use, now owned by the Richmond Upon Thames Borough Council.
All books copyright © R G M Baker, all rights reserved.
Images © 2006 M J Baker and S A Baker, all rights reserved.
Web page design © 2006 M J Baker and S A Baker, all rights reserved.