East & West Molesey
A Dictionary of Local History
Rowland G. M. Baker, 1972
This existed in the grounds of the Priory for the treatment of wax for Messrs. J.C. & C. Field Ltd., the well-known makers of candles. It first appears in the rate books in 1845. In the 1890s the factory was closed and the wax for Field's candles was imported from the south of France where the sunlight necessary for bleaching the wax was so much greater than at West Molesey. The site of the factory is now covered by the houses in Helen Close and Anne Way.
All books copyright © R G M Baker, all rights reserved.
Images © 2006 M J Baker and S A Baker, all rights reserved.
Web page design © 2006 M J Baker and S A Baker, all rights reserved.