The Book of Molesey
Rowland G. M. Baker, 1986
The chief source of manuscripts available to the public is the Surrey Record Office at Kingston, which includes copies of the parish registers and of census returns on microfilm. Other parochial records remain in the care of the respective churches. The proceedings of the succeeding local authorities are now in the custody of Elmbridge Borough Council.
A few documents relating to Molesey are located in the Guildford Muniment Room, the Minet Library at Camberwell, and the Manuscripts Room of the British Library. Some local houses are mentioned in the registers of the old fire insurance offices, now deposited in the Guildhall Library. Surrey wills previous to 1857 can be found in the Greater London Record Office and the Public Record Office.
Rambler (Joseph Budworth) A View of the village of Hampton from Moulsey Hurst 1797
The Mole (Herbert Andrews) A Short History of East Molesey 1893 A rather whimsically written work, but valuable in some respects.
Daniels, H. G. East and West Molesey, with their surroundings Homeland Handbooks, 1907
Williams, James St Paul's Church East Molesey 1951
Hawkins, M. & Webster, T. A Short History of Molesey Molesey Residents' Association, 1966 This booklet should be used with caution; its 32 pages contain over 90 errors.
Berry, Arthur & Hilda Charities of Molesey Molesey Residents' Association, 1969
Brightfield, Myron F. John Wilson Croker 1940
Baker, R. G. M. East and West Molesey, A Dictionary of Local History 2nd edn 1975
Aubrey, John The Natural History and Antiquities of the County of Surrey 1718-19, reprinted 1975
Manning, Owen & Bray, William History and Antiquities of the County of Surrey 1804-14 The British Library has an extra-illustrated edition of the work, which contains many views of Molesey
Brayley, F. W. & Britton, J. Topographical History of Surrey 1841-50 Wimbledon Public Library has an extra-illustrated copy of this work, with some views of Molesey
Malden, H. F. (ed) A History of the County of Surrey Victoria History, 1902-14
Cracklow, J. C. T. Views of Surrey Churches 1823 reprinted 1975
Gover, J. F. B. and others The Place Names of Surrey 1934
Surrey Archaeological Collections: 75 volumes (1858- )
Surrey Comet (1854- )
Surrey Herald (1892- ) Esher and Molesey edn from 1963
Molesey Weekly Record (April-June 1935)
Molesey Advertiser (1946-1948)
Molesey and Ditton News (1948-1962)
Molesey News (1968- )
It was the Kent estate that started suburbia in Molesey in 1848, and it was in 1946, almost a century later, that the remnants were sold — here is the catalogue of the sale of the last portions of the Kent Estate, 4 December 1946.
ISBN 0 86023 251 4
The Book of Molesey was originally published by Barracuda Books, now part of Baron, publishers of heritage volumes - maritime, military, transport, sporting and local. It is made available here with the kind agreement of Radmore Birch Associates.
Printed version of this book:
A printed copy is available from:
All books copyright © R G M Baker, all rights reserved.
Images © 2006 M J Baker and S A Baker, all rights reserved.
Web page design © 2006 M J Baker and S A Baker, all rights reserved.