East & West Molesey
A Dictionary of Local History
Rowland G. M. Baker, 1972
A convalescent home for "poor and delicate married women who have recently become mothers, and who require the advantages of medical aid, fresh air, and good food". It was founded in June 1882 at Corfe House, now 45 Arnison Road, by Princess Frederica, daughter of the king of Hanover, and niece of Queen Victoria, who lived in Hampton Court palace. It was moved three years later to larger and more suitable premises in a house called "Annandale" which formerly stood on the site of Kingfisher Court, Bridge Road. The home was under the management of the sisters of All Saints, Margaret Street, London. The patients, of whom there were usually six in residence, stayed with their babies for a term of about three weeks. Most of them came from London. It closed down in December 1896 through lack of funds. The furniture and effects were put up for auction on 20th January 1897, and the sum of £63.12s., part of the proceeds, was given to the cottage hospital.
All books copyright © R G M Baker, all rights reserved.
Images © 2006 M J Baker and S A Baker, all rights reserved.
Web page design © 2006 M J Baker and S A Baker, all rights reserved.