East & West Molesey
A Dictionary of Local History
Rowland G. M. Baker, 1972
Three pieces of land called "The Hale", "Mill Street Platts", and "The Hale Platts", together totalling some 18 acres, and sometimes known collectively as "The Church and Poor's Estate", have belonged to the parish of East Molesey "from time immemorial". The rent from this is used to help defray the expenses of the church and for the poor. At the enclosure of the commons in 1821 the land was allotted to the lords of the manor as manorial waste, but on petition by the churchwardens the Court of Chancery ordered their return to the parish. A scheme for the management of the lands was prepared by the Charity Commissioners in 1873. Part of the land is now covered by the Island Barn Reservoir.
All books copyright © R G M Baker, all rights reserved.
Images © 2006 M J Baker and S A Baker, all rights reserved.
Web page design © 2006 M J Baker and S A Baker, all rights reserved.